Hollywood is always in the process of adapting books for the big screen. There are lots of books becoming movies this year and here’s a list of all those books that you should be adding to your shelf before they hit the silver screen. Grab them up, get reading and decide for yourself if the movie does justice to the book. So here is the list of 10 Books to Read in 2015 Before The Movie Adaptation Hits Theatres!
1. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn – If dark twisted plots, murder mystery, blood, gore and complex characters intrigue and appeal to you, then this is a must read. It has all the ingredients required to make a perfect Hollywood suspense thriller and is one of the most anticipated movies of the year. First published in 2009 it was on the New York Times bestsellers list. Other works by the same author include Gone Girl and Sharp Objects. The former which has already been adapted into a massive worldwide hit. Dark Places is currently being made into a movie starring Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult in the lead. Directed by Frenchmen Gilles Paquet Brenner its release date is not yet decided, however you wouldn’t want to miss this one when it’s out.
2. Paper Towns by John Green -This is a young adult fiction by John Green and the third book by the author. It was published in 2008 and has won the Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Mystery. Other books by the author include An Abundance of Katherine’s and the immensely popular The Fault In Our Stars. It tells the story about two childhood friends Q and Margo and how they are united by a common bond. The movie adaption will be released in July 2015 starring Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne.
3. Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple – This 2012 book is told in the form of text messages, letters, emails, reports and blogs about a fifteen year old girl and her eccentric mother Bernadette Fox who ends up lost in Antarctica. Its funny, delightful and entertaining. The movie is set to be directed by Richard Linklater and the cast is yet to be finalized.
4. The Light Between Oceans by M.L Stedman – This is a novel published in 2012 about the story of a couple who live in a lighthouse on a small remote island off the coast of Australia, who one day find a baby girl washed ashore and come to adopt her. The book is a beautifully written emotional story about a mother’s love for her child. Winner of the Goodreads Choice Awards Best Historical Fiction, the movie adaption is directed by Derek Cianfrance and casts include Michael Fassbender, Rachel Weisz and Alicia Vikander.
5. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes – This is the second novel published by British author Jojo Moyes in 2012 and is the winner of the Goodreads Choice Awards Best Fiction. It tells the romantic tale about two radically different people in a small English town, 26 year old Louisa Clark and Will Traynor. Louisa who leads a very ordinary mundane life and Will who has always done things big and grand, takes up a job looking after Will as he is bound to a wheelchair after an accident. As the story unfolds Louisa realizes that the assertive Will’s happiness takes precedence over her own. The movie adaptation is to be directed by Thea Sharrock and the top billed casts include Emilia Clarke, Sam Claffin and Vanessa Kirby. It is slated for an early 2016 release.
6. Far From The Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy – If you still haven’t read this classic novel by Thomas Hardy by now, maybe its time that you should. The film is based on the novel who’s story revolves around a woman named Bathsheba who has to face difficulties of being involved with three different men at the same time. The movie adaption has Carey Mulligan, Tom Sturridge and Matthias Schoenaerts in the lead and set to release on May 1st.
7. The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks – Nicholas Sparks is the 1# New York Times Best Selling Author and needs no introduction. He is the author of many book adapted into films like A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, The Lucky One, Safe Haven, Message In A Bottle, Dear John etc. The plot in this novel consists of the love stories of two couples – one young and one old, in a rural North Carolina setting. The movie stars Scott Eastwood and Britt Robertson and is directed by George Tillman Jr. It is set to release April 10th.
8. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer – This a book about the true story of a group of mountain climbers who embarked on a journey to scale Mt Everest in 1966 and the tragedy that followed. The flim adaptation is titled “Everest” and stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Keria Knightley, Josh Brolin and is set to release in September.
9.The Martian by Andy Weir – This is a science fiction novel about the story of Astronaut Mark Watney who gets stranded on the Red Planet while NASA tries to rescue him. Meanwhile he has to learn to survive alone. The movie is directed by Ridley Scott and stars Matt Damon in the lead role along side Jessica Chastain and Kristen Wiig. The release date is touted as November 25th. This is definitely one to look out for.
10. The Revenant by Michael Punke – This is a book based on a true story of a 19th century fur trapper who gets mauled by a bear and is then left for dead by thieves. He then sets off on a path of revenge. The movie stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy as the leading characters. It is being directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu and set to release on December 25th.