Philip Seymour Hoffman, who won an Academy Award for his title role in the film “Capote” and undoubtedly one of the leading actors of his times, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on Sunday. After preliminary investigations, a New York police source described the mishap as an apparent drug overdose but nothing could be said with surety and they are awaiting the postmortem report of the actor.
The New York police was pretty fast in responding to a 911 call only to found Hoffman, 46, unresponsive on the bathroom floor of his Greenwich Village apartment and he was declared dead on the scene by the Emergency Medical Service workers, They said in an official statement that an investigation was ongoing and they can’t say anything until it gets completed.
Investigators found Hoffman with a syringe in his arm and two small plastic bags in the apartment containing a substance suspected of being heroin were also recovered by them and these are the clues standing upon which the New York Police is trying to draw a conclusion. A source of the police department earlier told that Hoffman had died of an apparent drug overdose.
Hoffman is survived by three children with his partner Mimi O’Donnell. Issued through his publicist, Hoffman’s family said , “We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone,”
On Sunday afternoon, onlookers were found to be gathering near Hoffman’s apartment in a four-story red brick building in a fashionable neighborhood of the West Village, which is home to many other actors too. After a short while, the crowd was dispersed and the entire block was cordoned off by police.
Rachel Melman, a neighbor and fan, said she frequently saw him around the neighborhood.
His death, if it gets confirmed to be resulting out of a drug overdose, would recall the 2008 death of actor Heath Ledger found dead in his Manhattan apartment from a lethal combination of drugs.