Windows 8 and 8.1 PC’s are optimized for best performance automatically by default. But, sometimes the PC performance gets too slow and you will get a feeling that performance of your PC needs to be boosted. Optimizing your PC is very easy and it doesn’t require any special knowledge.
The simple and best tips given below will help you to optimize your Windows 8 or 8.1 PC for better performance which you will notice in daily use.
# Scan your PC for Malware and Virus
Malware and Viruses are the first and major reason of a PC’s slow down. Viruses can enter your computer form an infected USB, CD, DVD, SD card or even from sources like internet, while you are visiting an infected website or when you are downloading a file. Keeping your PC safe from Virus or malware is very much important.
Windows 8 and 8.1 PCS comes with pre – installed Microsoft’s antivirus software – Windows Defender – which keeps your PC safe from Virus and Malware. This software updates automatically and scans your PC on regular basis but, virus infection can turn off the detection or it may restrict the automatic scanning and updates.
- Go to Control Panel and open Windows Defender or if you are using any other third-party Antivirus software, open it.
- Update the virus definitions. /Updating the virus is very much important as it downloads the latest updates about viruses and malware for your Antivirus software.
- Once you are done with updating, run a full-system scan on your PC.
- You can even use Quick Scan which takes a couple of minutes.
- Once you PC is completely scanned, if you find any malicious item or any Virus, remove it immediately.
# Clean up unwanted system files
Some of the system files will be stored on your hard drive by Windows for future reference, but Window’s don’t delete them automatically. These unwanted files take GB’s of space on the hard disk. These unnecessary files can be deleted to boost up the performance of your PC. Windows lets you to clean up these files and also other files like temporary files, cache and recycle bin.
- Go to Start screen and search for ’Free up space by deleting unnecessary files’.
- Press on the search result ‘Disk Clean up’ or ‘Free up space by deleting unnecessary files’.
- If you don’t see this in the result, then enable the administrative tools.
- Press the Disk Clean up, select ’C’ partition from the drop down menu and Press ‘OK’.
- The Utility will calculate and show the files list you can delete to free the disk space.
- Select the files including recycle bin, Temporary files, Setup files and clean them to free up lot of space on your disk.
Follow the same steps to clean all partitions of the hard disk and free up more space. You can see a considerable increase in the speed of your system.
# Disk Defragmenting
Your data is stored in chunks on the hard drive. The data is stored in different sectors on the hard disk and is not stored in sequence. This results in low response time of accessing the data on your PC. In Windows 8 and 8.1, Microsoft has included a utility to help you organize the data and make accessing data quicker.
Disk Defragment helps you rearrange your data in a systematic way there by making data accessing easier which results in quick response time for your windows.
- Go to Start screen and press ‘Windows key+I.
- In the settings charm, select ‘Tiles’, and enable ‘Show administrative tools’ option.
- Search for ‘Defragment’. You will be shown ‘Defragment and Optimize Device’ option.
- Select C and press Analyze.
- It will take a few seconds, then you will be shown whether your device can be defragmented or not.
- Press ‘Optimize’ to start the process of optimization. This process can take up to an hour.
After running this utility, you can notice a better performance while accessing the data.
When to run these tasks?
- Scanning your PC can be done once in a week, but don’t forget to update your Windows defender daily.
- Disk Clean up can be done once a week or after 2 weeks.
- Defragment process can be used once in a month.
These are the basic things that you can do to speed up your Windows 8 or 8.1 PC. After following these steps, you should be able to notice a good boost in your system performance. Apart from following these steps, you should regularly do the following things:
- Download and Install the latest Windows Update.
- Install only necessary software.
- Use only the latest drivers for your computer.
- Disable or remove the unused programs from the start-up.
- Disable the unnecessary services that cost extra burden on your system to make your system run swiftly.
Make use of these simple tips and blaze up your Windows 8.1 PC performance.